Coffins interview for Dark Recollections ‘zine
1. Dark Recollections: Hails… please give us a brief band bio.
Coffins: Well, Coffins was born in 1996. But as we didn’t play a show and there was only a rehearsal, we stopped acting once in 2000. We released the demo and re-started in 2003. Later, we released 1st album “Mortuary In Darkness” in 2005, 2nd album “The Other Side Of Blasphemy” in 2006 and 3rd album “Buried Death”in 2008. Also we have released a lot of splits, you know!!
2. Dark Recollections: how did the different band members meet?
Coffins: KOREEDA and me were acquaintances from early 90’s. He was playing in fast/hard core band (also right now). But I invited him to Coffins in 2006 because he had liked slow band like sludge/doom. RYO had been going with our overseas tour as a staff since 2008. He like Death metal and sludge core, and was able to play the drum as well, he joined Coffins in 2010.
3. Dark Recollections: tell us about your releases so far… how has the underground scene responded to your releases… favorite release?
Coffins: As these are a lot of releases, I can’t write here sorry (check them our official web site)!! Yeah, the reaction from overseas was so good!! There were many metal freaks that supported us. Some label guy and maniacs seem to be denying us, but we don’t mind. Because all their remark become the advertisements for us. It’s a nessesary evil, haha!! Sure, my fave release is all!!
4. Dark Recollections: is anyone involved in other bands.. or been in other bands prior to Coffins?
Coffins: You mean, it’s a side band right? If so, yes. We are playing also in the other bands. Ryo and me are playing in the band called “CYN”. This band starts last year, and is playing the alternative heavy junk doom sound like Swans, Godflesh and Scorn. CYN has the EP release plan from US label “Hydro-Phonic Records”. KOREEDA is playing in the power violence band called “TRIKORONA”. TRIKORONA has acted for several years, and some split EPs has been released. They seem to be doing the recording work for their 1st album now.
5. Dark Recollections: what is the song “purgatorial madness”about… what inspired its lyrics?
Coffins: As we have not opened lyrics to the public, I can’t write details here. But this lyrics have a Buddhism meaning. The lyrics of the Buried Death album have total concept of “death”. I wrote the lyrics about the “death” from the side of the Buddhism.
6. Dark Recollections: talk about your latest split 10 in Lp with warhammer…
Coffins: We received the offer of this plan from the Italian label called “Break The Chains” last year. I was so surprised at the offer because Break The Chains is a sub-label of the hard/crust core label called Agipunk. But as I’m a big fan of Warhammer, accepted it.
7. Dark Recollections: how did the bands ended up together for this release…?
Coffins: First, they said that it would be released on 7 inch format. But it was released on 10 inch. It’s the reason why our song is short. But it became a killer release, I think that they did so good release work!! Awesome!!
8. Dark Recollections: any offers to release split 10 in Lp on cd?
Coffins: Nothing special. I’m not sure, but that split 10″ will not be released on CD.
9. Dark Recollections: any other Coffins releases planned for the near future?
Coffins: Yeah, we have a lot of plans, like new 4th album, live album, cover album, singles, splits and reissue past albums… so busy haha!! Please check them our web!!
10. Dark Recollections: what is the scene like where you live… any bands you recommend checking out?
Coffins: We are acting in Tokyo. Thrash/Death metal scene in Tokyo has become active again in recent. Doom scene is almost non-existent as usual. But the number also of young new bands has increased.
11. Dark Recollections: how did you get Chris Moyen to do artwork for your Cds… did he offer or did you ask?
Coffins: When we released 1st album, I said to the label guy at that time that I want to use the Chris’s artwork. The label guy did contact to Chris. Chris liked our sound as well, and we are working together afterwards. His artworks are always my fave, killer!!
12. Dark Recollections: Tell us about your mini U.S.A tour and maryland death fest shows… favorite place where you played?
Yeah, that fest killed!! Autopsy, Repulsion, Asphyx, Pentagram, Entombed and many many old school bands… especially last year’s line-up was awesome!! Though we played 2 times on MDF, the scale of MDF seems surely to have expanded. Because many audiences gather, the meaning playing on that stage is huge. We want also to play in that place!!
13. Dark Recollections: any last words, comments? thanks for the interview
Coffins:Thanks for the supporting!! Return of death doom, cheers!!